A dive into history
New museum centre at the Priamàr Fortress in Savona
The Priamar Fortress in Savona is the largest, most imposing fortification in the whole of Liguria, built by the Republic of Genoa in 1542 to protect and defend Savona after it was definitively subjugated in 1528.
Today, the monumental complex of Priamar, already home to antique exhibits and contemporary art collections, is home to the new Priamàr museum centre which houses the collections of Sandro Pertini, the seventh President of Italy, and Renata Cuneo, the Savona sculptor, in the Palazzo della Loggia where the archaeological and city museum is also housed.
At the fortress, the Palazzo del Commissario houses the cell where the young Giuseppe Mazzini was held, a place that has been respected and preserved throughout the many transformation, renovation and restoration projects that have made the Priamar a citadel of absolute cultural and tourism interest.
At the Priamar complex, inside the cells of the Palazzo della Sibilla, the Municipality of Savona has also opened the first permanent handicraft hub in collaboration with Confartigianato Savona.